Business - Curriculum Intent
We study Business and Economics to develop an awareness and natural curiosity of the Business and Economic environment around them. To have a deeper understanding of the businesses that students will work for or run, and the key driving factors and inhibitors that impact the environment. To learn how to manage your current and future financial capability in the short, medium and long term.
Business introduces pupils to the dynamics of how a business is set up and organised. It enables individuals to enhance their ability to enter the world of work within a wide range of business organisations. Our courses also provide valuable opportunities to develop key skills such as ICT, Maths, team working and communication, as well as developing confidence and inter-personal skills. A large number of students who take Business in the Sixth Form go on to study the subject at University.
The Business Department believes very strongly in a students’ Whole Education and so our trips and extra-curricular activities play a large part in the all-round education of students.
Our year 12 students have been taking part in the National Young Enterprise programme for several years. The objectives are to set up and run a real business. Students raise capital, sell products/services, run meetings and solve a range of problems a business would face.
Year 10 marketing challenge – We end year 10 by arranging for students to participate in a challenge against their peers. Students are given guidance and resources and have to market a new drink using the set criteria.
We also offer to take students to externally run revision workshops that we hope will further enhance our students’ examination skills. Students pay for these courses as they are organised and run by private companies but we have attended them in the past and we believe that they provide an excellent, additional experience which complements what we provide for our students in school.
Years 10 and 11 - GCSE Business
Aims of the Course
- Know and understand business concepts, business terminology, business objectives and the impact of business on individuals and wider society
- Apply knowledge and understanding to contemporary business issues and to different types and sizes of businesses in local, national and global contexts
- Develop as enterprising individuals with the ability to think commercially and creatively and draw on evidence to make informed business decisions and solve business problems
- Use an enquiring, critical approach to make informed judgements
- Investigate and analyse real business opportunities and issues to construct well-argued, well evidenced, balanced and structured arguments, demonstrating their depth and breadth of understanding of business
- Develop and apply quantitative skills relevant to business, including using and interpreting data
Examination Board: EDEXCEL GCSE in Business (1BS0)
Year 10 - Theme 1: Investigating Small Business
- Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Making the business effective
- Spotting a business opportunity
- Understanding external influences on business
- Putting a business idea into practice
Year 11 - Theme 2: Building a Business
- Growing the business
- Making operational decisions
- Making financial decisions
- Making human resource decisions
- Making marketing decisions
|1||11||Investigating Small Business||Exam (1hr 45mins)||50%|
|2||11||Building a Business||Exam (1hr 45mins)||50%|